1824- 1825

The Collected Letters, Volume 3


JBW TO THOMAS CARLYLE; 22 September 1825; DOI: 10.1215/lt-18250922-JBW-TC-01; CL 3:382.


Thursday [22 September 1825]

My dearest

I wish I may not tire you with letters; but to day I write on business and in the greatest possible haste the gig being waiting for me at the door

I had a letter from my Mother yesterday full of confusion worse confounded regarding the letting of Craigenputtock. She has had two offers for it in my absence and seemed quite undecided w[h]ether to accept them or not— If there is any chance of your Brother taking it I would prefer him infinitely, before any other man. and acordingly I wrote off to my Mother instantly begging her to come under no engagement until he had looked at the place and made up his mind. Her answer is just arrived and very obliging— She is quite willing to let the matter rest till she hears farther from me so pray ride over to Craigenputtock as soon as possible and tell me if Alick really wishes to have the place and what he is willing to give for it—I will not tell you what the others have offered that he may go entirely, on his own Judgement— Write on Wednesday all about it or see me. I do not know what time I shall get into town or where I shall be but I will leave my address at the commercial Inn as soon as I arrive— Come my Angel—business will be an excuse for my seeing you again.

I was never so hurried or so fatigued in my life— God Almighty bless you[.] I am ever yours

[no signature]