TC TO JOHN GLEN ; 18 August 1853; DOI: 10.1215/lt-18530818-TC-JOGL-01; CL 28: 253
TC TO JOHN GLEN
Chelsea, 18 Augt 1853—
My dear Sir,
There is still no decision on our case. The “end of june” is past, and the end of july, and here we are drawing towards the end of August; and big matters of state still keep us where we were.
I wrote to the Duke of Argyll a gentle memento the other day,—who, as I learn otherwise, has really concerned himself in the business, and takes interest in it:—here is his answer this moment come to hand. From which we learn that matters stand precisely where they did; and that we must still wait,—with hope. I engaged him to write to me again the instant a decision is arrived at; and I take it for granted he will do so: you shall then instantly hear from me; and in the meantime, need not send any answer,—nor abate or increase any hopes you might have before entertained. The good Mrs Glen's silence is nobler to me than any eloquence; and I know one person that will be sorry and disappointed enough, if, after all, the issue be mere nothing!
Yours always truly /